Friday, April 30, 2010

From the Niger to the Mississippi (Creative Non-Fiction)

“You speak four languages?!” I asked incredulously.

“Yeah. English, West African Creole (which is like broken English), Hausa, and French,” said Hananiah ‘Hani’ Nyabam. “I went to an American Accredited School in Nigeria for 1st and 2nd and then 7th through 12th grades so that I could come to the United States for college, and I learned English there.”

“So it must not have been hard for you to transition to classes here at Union then?” I said.

“Well, knowing English helped me a lot, but sure, it was hard. Literature and writing classes were the hardest. I was taught differently how to write and make essays. They don’t teach you good reading skills in Nigeria, so I am a slow reader and it was a struggle for me to read my homework.”

Hani, a native of Nigeria, moved to the United States in 2005 to attend Covenant College on a soccer scholarship. After a year there, he transferred to Union University to play with his best friend from home who had also received a scholarship for soccer. Hani graduated in December 2009 with a degree in Computer Science and now works at Aeneas Internet and Telephone as an account executive where he educates people about technological improvements and sells them these innovations.

“Have you been home since you moved here for school?” I asked.

“No, I haven’t been home since August 2005 because the visa-granting system is tricky, and so there is always a chance that I wouldn’t be permitted to return to the US.” Hani explained.

“So are you planning on staying in the United States or will you move back home?”
“I plan to stay here for now,” Hani said. “I don’t want to be a US citizen. I don’t see the point, and I’m not allowed to have dual-citizenship. I might become one now after the Nigerian bomber on Christmas Day, but before that there was no reason. For now I will get a Green Card and just see what happens.”

But what would make Hani want to leave his home and his family behind for good and stay in the United States? What is Nigeria like? How does it compare to the US? All these questions flashed through my mind as I questioned Hani, and I asked him to explain.

The way of life in Nigeria is almost foreign to the American fast-paced, do-what-you-need-to-get-to-the-top way of life. “Time is of no essence to us,” Hani stated. He gave the example that if a couple says that their wedding is going to be at 10am, the couple themselves probably won’t even show up until 11 or 12 o’clock. Being on time is not important, and being late is not considered rude. Although Hani considers the majority of southerners in the US to be fairly kind, Nigerians surpass their compassion any day. “For example,” Hani related, “if someone comes to you and asks you for money, even if you know that you need that money to pay a bill in a couple of weeks, you give them that money.” Surprisingly, theft is still prevalent. “One day our house was broken into three times in a five month period!” Hani exclaimed to me.

The household in Nigeria is set up differently than in the US in many ways, as well. Most Nigerians own a plot of land on which they build a house and a compound with at thirteen to fifteen feet heigh security wall around the premises. “Inside the walls we grow fruit trees—guavas, papayas, mangos, etc—and raise poultry,” Hani said, “On the outside of the wall we grow corn, tomatoes, and other similar crops in season.” Their home itself is large enough that extended family can comfortably live with them if needed. “My father is the head of the household, and he raised me to be obedient,” said Hani. “Disobedience is not tolerated at all! I was whipped with branches, twigs, and belts for disobedience.” This did not prevent his family from being close-knit. The regularly ate meals together as a family and took turns cooking. Hani’s mother worked as a banker and then selling insurance while his father was a business manager for NASCO, a textile company, during his childhood. In more recent years, they both became missionaries to their country and founded Prevailing Prayer Ministry (PPM).

“I became a Christian as a child when my grandmother died. My sister lead me to Christ after her funeral,” Hani reminisced. “Although I went to a missionary school in 3rd- 5th grade, I didn’t really learn much about Christianity and its history because my parents were also new believers, and so it wasn’t until I moved the United States that I was able to live out and learn more about my faith.”
“Is Nigeria predominantly a Christian country?” asked.

“Right now it is split about 50/50 between Muslims and Christians, but with a few more Christians,” Hani replied. “I lived in the city Jos, which is considered to be the gateway to Christianity for the country. After the terrorist attacks of 9/11/2001, terrible riots broke out in my city because Muslims wanted to gain control of the city.” Although they were unsuccessful, rioting continues indefinitely. Frequently, the government instates curfews to help prevent violence.
“But I still don’t fully understand why you don’t want to return to Nigeria. You say you liked your country and its simpler way of life, yet you choose to stay here. Why?” I continued.

“I would rather live in a Christian country and be surrounded by believers than not.” Hani explained. “America is a land of opportunity, but more importantly, it is a country founded on Christianity. Also, it would be difficult to reintegrate into the more primitive ways of Nigeria after experiencing the innovations of the United States—not only on a technological level, but also on such levels as government and education. Regardless, I miss my family, the Nigerian people, and their simpler, more laid-back way of life.”

No comments: